Friday, February 1, 2008

His first birthday party!

We celebrated Moses' first birthday party with a handful of friends and family on December 1st. It was important for us to keep the gathering small since a) our house is tiny and it gets awkward with more than 8 people b) Moses is leery of large groups of people, even if he's familiar with them.


I chose to do an origami theme for his first party since Moses could have cared less about the theme, and I'm sure the next few years will be full of super heroes and Disney characters that I have no say in. This party was more for us anyhow--a "hooray, we survived a year of little sleep and stinky diapers" celebration. In keeping with the origami theme, I served Asian cuisine: egg rolls, rice, and sushi. Originally, I planned to make an origami cake, but Duncan Hines was not on my side that day, and we opted for a simple store-bought, vanilla-on-vanilla cake. Someday, I'll make it up to you, kid!







Overall, I think Moses had a good time. He wasn't familiar with the concept of unwrapping gifts, and if I had my wits about me, we would have practiced beforehand. He enjoyed parallel playing with Kylar, who was born a week after Moses. He had some cake, but wasn't keen to touch the icing since it stuck to his fingers. In fact, he had quite the little melt down when the icing wouldn't shake off his hands.



Our friends and family were very generous to our little man and he finished the day with an amazing pile of toys, which, oddly enough, were nearly all farm-related. He's enjoyed his tractors, barns, puzzles, pull-toys, and blocks immensely. Everyday he's learning more and more how to properly use the toys--it's so cute to watch his little brain at work.

Thanks to everyone who made his birthday special!

-Lindsey

No comments: