Thursday, February 28, 2008

Officially Weaned

This post is a little bittersweet for me. After nearly 15 months of breastfeeding, I can now say that we are done. It was mutual choice for both of us. Moses no longer has the attention span to breastfeed during the day and prefers to carry a bottle around and "do" stuff rather than sit still and nurse in my lap. I probably could have pumped, but I'm a lazy breastfeeder and pumping is a huge time commitment.

The only time he enjoyed breastfeeding was at his 4 a.m. wake up, which was more about soothing him back to sleep than it was about hunger. That habit was physically exhausting for me so I wanted to nip that practice in the bud.

We'd been making strides at weaning until his recent sickness when he reverted back to being an über-momma's boy and wanted to nurse around the clock. At that point in the weaning process, I could no longer keep up with his feeding demands, but I'd try my best at solace.

It's now been over a week since our last feeding and I don't anticipate a need for it soon. I'll miss that special time with my boy. His excitement about nursing was so adorable--he'd start cooing and breathing fast when he knew food was coming. It was such a beautiful experience.

I've got 23 weeks to rest up before I'll start again. I'm not sure the new baby and I will make it as long as Moses and I did, but it's well worth the try. I can't help but think these two bouts of ear infections and colds coincided with the beginning of the end of breastfeeding. He really had a healthy first year in comparison to other kiddos and I commend breast milk for that accomplishment.

-Lindsey

No comments: