Sunday, August 10, 2008

Milo's Birth Story

My doctor called Friday morning when I was on the way home from my umpteenth attempt at walking myself into labor. She said that she had a room ready for me if I wanted to go in then. I was still scared about being induced but very ready to meet my boy (and so done with being pregnant) so Dave and I hightailed it to the hospital.

When I arrived at the hospital, it was 11 a.m. From my previous post, you know that I was already pretty progressed--sitting at 5 cm, 90% effaced, and -1 station and contracting. I got an epidural around 2 o'clock (which didn't fully take on my left side, boo) and started the Pitocin around 3 to help move me along. Having all of those medications administered at once made me feel a little strange and lightheaded so I took a brief nap and, thankfully, woke up feeling better. At 4:30, I was checked and had only changed to 5.5 cm so my water was broken.

That was a magical, magical event.

Nearly an hour later, I began to feel intense pain and the incredible urge to push. My nurse checked me and said I was fully dilated and effaced. She barely had time to call for a set up and the doctors before I started to push. Thankfully, Dave had just returned from eating dinner in the cafeteria. 3 back-to-back pushes and 30 seconds later my boy was here!

I'm still amazed at the quickness of it all since Moses tested the limits of my pushing ability and my doctor's time allowance. I always envied those women who "pushed for only 20 minutes." Little Milo must have known my delivery desires and did me one better--3 pushes! He wasn't messing around! I do have a second degree tear but other than that, I'm doing fine and feeling much better physically this time around.

Milo arrived so quickly that my doctor wasn't able to make it there for the delivery, but strangely enough, a childhood friend of Dave's delivered Milo.

Milo's doing well and has received a clean bill of health from all the professional pokers and prodders who've visited. I'm breastfeeding again and am thrilled he's got a great latch--if only he wasn't always nodded off to sleep at each meal!

Moses met Milo for the first time yesterday! He didn't really notice Milo and was more interested in the room's furniture (with buttons!) than his new brother. I don't think he realized that Milo is going home with us and that he's a permanent fixture in the family.

It's so nice to finally have Milo here with us and we look forward to getting home and being a foursome!


Anonymous said...

Yay for an easy delivery! Glad you are all doing so well. :)

The everyday said...

that's great that it went so good! He's a currie!

Btw lily was also in love with the hospital bed, she thought it was some sort of ride,and I let her do it as much as she wanted after all we had a lot of down time! Congrats again

lfhcreative said...

I am so glad it went well! Easy deliveries rock!

The hospital bed must have universal toddler appeal, Moo was also more interested in the tv and bed over any tiny baby!

Mrs. B. said...

Oh I'm so happy it went quickly for you. I am convinced that inductions are wonderful (only) if the baby is ready to go! Get's them moving right along.
What a sweet boy Milo is...

Meredith said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys!
Welcome, Baby Milo:)

Tracey said...

Okay - women aren't supposed to look THAT GOOD after giving birth. DAMN GIRL!

I'm so glad things were easy for you! Milo is precious, and you have been blessed with such a beautiful family. Huge congrats to you!

Mrs. P Martinez said...

Congrats!! I am so happy that the induction went well. Lucky girl! Milo was SO ready. :o)

He is beautiful. Get some rest honey.